The bright orange glow of a neon sign is easy to spot (NAICS 339950/3993); in fact, neon (Ne) was recognized as a new element precisely because of its bright red emission spectrum. But even though neon signs have become harder to find, neon is still used in lighting (NAICS 335110)—for example, as the pilot light for a coffee pot or as a high-voltage indicator (NAICS 334415), to measure or indicate the presence of voltage.
Among other uses, neon contributes to:
- Cryogenic refrigeration applications, with 40 times the refrigerating power of helium
- Vacuum tubes for manufacturing and military applications
- Lightning arresters for the telecommunications industry
- Scanners at supermarket checkout counters to read bar codes on grocery items.
- Wave metertubes to measure the frequency of radio waves
- Production of gold nanoclusters, for biosensing and biolabeling applications.
- Key component in semiconductor manufacturing using lithographic steppers
Where to buy neon
Electronic Fluorocarbons provides neon at 99.999% purity to meet all of your customer’s needs. For additional information/ordering, call 1-888-924-3371 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about neon and other specialty gases and to stay up-to-date on all of EFC’s latest news!